Sunday, July 16, 2006

Quick update: Baybeats on friday!!

I turned up late so I only managed to catch the last 3 bands at the chill-out stage.

Tiramisu had excellent stage antics. Although the whole band was decked out in loud clashing outfits, the lead singer definitely stood out in drag. Pink sequins, lime green capris, runny electric blue eyeshadow. He pranced about the stage, twitching and moving his limbs in a sporadic fashion. Everytime he lifted his arms, you'd see a light drizzle of sequins onto the ground. Reminds me of an online comic about a ninja who had happiness pouring out of his armpits. What was it called, Perr? Highlights were his mid-air split, his attempt at break-dancing and a scissor-kick that flung one side of his shiny red pumps into the crowd.

The Ferns were much more quiet and mellow in comparison. The songs had a nice melody but the lyrics were indecipherable at points. Nonetheless, the music was soothing so it wasn't a bad performance.

The best part? Poptart!!!! They're not as much a band as they are a small group of DJs who mix indie pop/dance. By the third song, everyone was up on their feet dancing. It was like a mini-mosh pit and we were right in front half the time. They even played The Postal Service! After that performance, I've got I Predict A Riot on repeat and my neck's sore from headbanging. Maybe if I go for more gigs I'll get used to it.

Good first gig experience in my books.

Electrico tomorrow! But first, sleep. Night!

No comments: